Monday, October 13, 2008

My first quilt



This quilt is one I made for Mr. D for Christmas 2003. I finally finished it and gave it to him in March of this year! He's very patient.

It is the maritime signal flages because he is a yachtie (the quilt is draped over his little boat).It is the first proper quilt I have finished. I made couple of the shaggy types but realised pretty quickly when I stared this one that they aren't really patchwork quilting at all. No corners to match up, no binding, no quilting decisions etc...

As I had basically no idea what I was doing I jumped in at the deep end and made up my own pattern. Wow, how silly was I? The only request I had was that it be big enough to have a nap under! It is almost queen size and backed in chenille.The flags are outline quilted in dark blue and each piece in each flag is stitched too, the red side strips are quilted with yellow parallel lines.

After a couple of lengthy stalls, when I thought the flags were all different sizes, I did get there, and I must say that I am very proud of it. It does just the job at nap time!

No comments: